Wednesday, September 26, 2012

July 23, 1341 Maqdasha


After 15 day of sailing, I managed to reach my destination. This was the town of Maqdasha (Document R). Most of the citizens there were merchants and had a surplus of camels. There were so many camels, they would slaughter them just for food to eat (Document R). I learned that these people carry out a ritual when a ship arrives at the port. Many young men would go out to the ships in small rowing boats with food and greet the merchant with food as if he was royal. The host then sells his goods for him and buys for him, and if anyone buys anything from him at too low a price, or sells to him in the absence of his host, the sale is regarded by them as invalid (Document R).  I feel that this is odd, but it is their own tradition and I think they probably think some of my traditions are odd. We stayed there [in Mogadishu] three days, food being brought to us three times a day, and on the fourth, a Friday, the qadi and one of the wazirs brought me a set of garments (Document R).  Then I was allowed to visit their mosque. What a beautiful sight! I was greeted by the Shaykh and was asked to put a pair of sandals on to walk with him to the palace (Document R). This was a great welcoming considering everyone else had no shoes.  His head was covered with 4 canopies of silk, each with golden birds mounted on them. After the palace ceremonies ended, everyone retired to their area and saluted (Document R). 

4 comments:

  1. This is a very good blog. I like how you talked about the sales between people in the town. Also you included how you found this to be weird but that they might also see your traditions as weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you wrote this blog. I like how you described how the young men would go out in rowboats to greet the merchant. I also like how you described how they traded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog was very interesting and realistic. The description of the town was clear and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you were very descriptive about everything. You used some really good details, especially about how the Shaykh gave him a pair of shoes when everyone else was barefoot.

    ReplyDelete