Wednesday, September 26, 2012

August 16, 1332 Tunis


I traveled over land from Algiers to Tunis (Document B). On the way, we stopped for a few days, waiting for everyone to rejoin us. Then we went on through mountains and finally reached Bijaya. By this time one of the Tunisian merchants died, and left us three thousand dinars of gold, which was a great deal of money. At Bijaya, I became ill with a fever, and one of my friends recommended me to stay there for a few nights until I fully recovered from the fever. I disagreed with him and refused staying. When we reached Qusantinah, we set down outside of the town, but the rainstorm forced us to move to houses there (Document B).  Soon the governor came and saw our dirty, wet, soiled clothes; he demanded that they were washed at his own house. Also, he gave me a new headcloth made of Syrian cloth, which allowed me to forget about my old, dirty one.  This was the first gift I received on my journey. We next reached Bona, and after staying there a few days, left. While leaving, we raced out as fast as possible because of the great dangers there on the road (Document B). I caught another fever on the way, so I strapped myself to my horse in case I wasn’t strong enough to hold on. My biggest fear was that I could not descend until we arrived at Tunis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment