Wednesday, September 26, 2012

December 7, 1345 Yemen


It seems that I am back to Yemen. This time I am in the town of Dhofar (Document S). Just like Maqdasha, the town is based on the merchant class and trade. The people had their own customs, but I have found that they are very similar to the people in Northwest Africa (Document S). Dhofar is very rich in agriculture. I find that many cities that are doing well have rich soil also. Dhofar has many trees that grow their including the ones that bananas grow on. One special one, however, is the Betel-tree, which is only found in Dhofar and India (Document S). These trees do not grow any time of fruit, but the leaves are very valuable on them. The leaves could be more expensive that gold and silver (Document S). Not only that tree, but the town has another beneficial tree. The name of this tree is the coco-palm tree and it contains nutritional components. It grows huge nuts, with hairlike fiber on it, resembling a man’s head (Document S). When it is cut open, it has a liquid, healthy pulp with is sweet. This pulp can be scraped out, though. My stay at Dhofar really gave me a whole new topic of knowledge on foreign agriculture. 

1 comment:

  1. This was a very well written article. I liked how he took and explained each tree and how it benefited the society.

    ReplyDelete